Top Header Ad

Northern Bahr El Ghazal dismisses claims linking embattled governor to cement, cash scandal

Governor of Northern Bahr el Ghazal State, Simon Ober Mawut, speaks during the five-day Governors’ Forum in Aweil. [Photo: Courtesy]

AWEIL – The government of South Sudan’s Northern Bahr El Ghazal State has strongly denied viral social media claims alleging that Governor Simon Ober Mawut secretly transported bags of cement and money to his hometown, Bar-Mayen Payam, in Aweil Centre County.

The allegations, widely circulated online, claim that a truck loaded with cement and bags supposedly filled with cash was ferried to Bar-Mayen last week. The state government has labelled the accusations “false, malicious, and politically motivated.”

Acting Minister of Information and Communication, Bol Akuar Gamar—who also serves as the Minister of Youth and Sports—dismissed the claims in a press statement issued on Thursday. He said the accusations amount to character assassination orchestrated by individuals seeking to undermine the state administration.

“I want to clarify to the public, on behalf of the state government, that the Governor—who is currently in Juba—has not ordered the transportation of cement or bags of money to his hometown,” Akuar said. “These are mere lies. Where would he even get such possessions when he has no access to state funds? Account controllers are not himself.”

Akuar warned against the misuse of social media platforms to incite public distrust, stressing that the recently enacted cybercrime law will be used to track down and hold accountable those spreading falsehoods.

“The government has released a cyber law, and people with such behaviour must be mindful of their writings. They are being sought so they can clarify their position,” he cautioned.

Officials also noted that the rumours go beyond naming the governor, implicating cabinet members whose appointments have not yet been publicly announced. The government urged young people to refrain from spreading unverified information and to respect legal procedures.

Last week, the governor’s office instructed the former Commissioner-General of the State Revenue Authority to clarify claims regarding alleged unpaid debts, a development that officials say may have triggered politically motivated misinformation.

For now, authorities say the intention behind the online claims remains unclear—whether aimed at discrediting Governor Mawut or destabilizing the state administration.

Crédito: Link de origem

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.