YAMBIO – Mundri West County is hosting more than 100 pupils who fled armed conflict from different areas of Mundri East for the Primary Leaving Examinations (PLE), which commenced on Monday.
The national exams began this morning across South Sudan.
The learners, mostly from Kediba and Lakamadi payams, were relocated to Mundri West after clashes intensified along the Kediba–Lakamadi axis involving government forces, SPLA-IO, and NAS fighters.
The violence, which began rising in mid-2024, grew worse between September and October 2025, leading to repeated ambushes, killings, and the destruction of homes and public infrastructure.
Residents from affected areas report several civilian casualties, families hiding in the bushes without food, and mass displacement of households from Kediba, Lakamadi, Buagyi, and surrounding villages.
A key bridge linking communities was also destroyed, cutting off movement and humanitarian access. Schools were abandoned as teachers and pupils fled, and farming activities were disrupted, creating fears of hunger after residents missed the planting season.
At the launch of the exams, Mundri West County Commissioner Zilpha Dawa encouraged the pupils to remain calm and focused despite the difficult conditions they endured.
Dawa, who rang the bell to mark the start of the examinations, reminded them that she once studied at the same school before becoming the county commissioner. She urged the candidates to “trust their abilities and use their brains to pass.”
County Education Director Elnana Khamis William said Mundri West is hosting six examination centres, two of which accommodate displaced pupils from Mundri East.
One of these centres is in Karika Boma, Kotobi Payam. He confirmed that 108 relocated learners are sitting their exams in safety and assured parents that security across Mundri West remains stable.
A total of 648 candidates—332 boys and 314 girls—are registered for PLE in Mundri West this year, although numbers have dropped from last year due to high school fees and insecurity in the region.
Mundri East County Commissioner Henry Ngalamu expressed gratitude to Mundri West for sheltering and protecting displaced pupils.
“Our children are suffering because of a conflict they do not understand. Many fled at night, some lost their relatives, and others remain in the bushes. We are grateful to Mundri West for hosting these pupils so they can sit their exams,” Ngalamu said.
He urged national and state authorities to urgently restore peace and reopen humanitarian access, saying civilians need security to return home and children need stability to continue learning.
Education Director Khamis also appealed to parents and guardians to provide emotional and psychological support to children affected by trauma, noting that “good performance depends on teamwork between teachers, parents, and the community.”
Thousands of Primary 8 candidates nationwide are sitting for their examinations throughout this week.
Crédito: Link de origem
