Top Header Ad

Yambio traders suffer heavy losses after two-day gunfire

A cyclist rides on aroad passing throught Yambio Market in Western Equatoria State. [Photo: Courtesy]

YAMBIO – Traders in Yambio in South Sudan’s Western Equatoria State are counting massive losses after a violent two-day shootout plunged several neighbourhoods into fear, leaving at least three people dead, two others injured, and dozens of businesses ransacked.

The incident, which authorities say involved an exchange of fire between unidentified armed men and security forces last week, forced residents to flee their homes and left shops exposed to widespread looting.

Calm was restored on Monday following the redeployment of police and additional security forces across the Western Equatoria State capital. However, for many business owners, the damage had already been done.

Western Equatoria State Police Commissioner Maj. Gen. Phillip Madut Tong confirmed that opportunistic criminals exploited the chaos to break into shops and stores in Masia, Bangasu Road, Sug Gumba, Gangara Emelia, and Yambio Town. The looters made away with cash, electronics, fuel, food items, and assorted commercial goods.

“These criminals used the situation to steal from innocent people. We are investigating and working hard to recover the stolen properties,” Madut said.

According to traders, the losses run into millions of South Sudanese Pounds. Rose Taban, a shop owner near the central market, described the destruction as devastating. She said she returned after the fighting subsided only to find her shop completely emptied.

“They took everything—cooking oil, sugar, flour, mobile phones, even the little capital I kept inside. I don’t know how I will recover,” she lamented.

The Western Equatoria State Chamber of Commerce has strongly condemned the looting, warning that persistent insecurity is eroding business confidence and threatening the region’s economic stability.
Acting Chairperson Salah Anthony urged the state government to take urgent measures to protect traders and restore trust in the business environment.

“Our traders are taxpayers and the backbone of the local economy. What happened is unacceptable. We are urging the government to compensate affected traders, strengthen patrols, and ensure such incidents never happen again,” Anthony said.

Residents echoed the call for improved security, saying the recurring episodes of gunfire and theft have created fear, disrupted livelihoods, and hindered normal life.

Authorities say investigations into both the shootout and the subsequent looting are still ongoing. Additional security personnel have been deployed to ensure calm and prevent further incidents as the community begins to rebuild from the losses.

Crédito: Link de origem

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.